Thursday, March 5, 2009

New Findings: AOP & PostSharp

I was just browsing through the latest MSDN magazine today while waiting for a rather long integration test to run, and I found an article on Aspect-Oriented Programming (AOP). Now I have heard of AOP and have been told that it is a very effective programming paradigm, but have never fully looked into it before. In the article the author (Scott Michell) presents an open source framework called PostSharp. Now I spent a good while looking through the website and some examples and I am impressed. The power with PostSharp is that you define a custom attribute which extends from one of PostSharps base classes and you can write code for cross cutting concerns such as logging, security, etc into this attribute and place the attribute on the properties in your class and the PostSharp.Core puts your code into the class at compile time.

I'm looking forward to sitting down and having a play with this framework as it looks really positive. Anything that promises to improve my coding practices is worth a bit of my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment